Thursday, September 21, 2006

Why I write (aka what didn't fit in my damn 500 character limit profile)...

Because a honeybee flaps its wings in five milliseconds and the average American’s attention span is becoming shorter than that. Because we want to read insightful passages of literature only if they’re based on the movie. Because great speeches like the Gettysburg Address would today be reduced to five second soundbite on TV, followed by a techno remix on YouTube. Because as Bart Simpson eloquently phrased it – “T.V. ruined my imagination and my ability to ummmm, well uh....you know,” and I’ve watched a lot of TV in my life. So before I become banal like the rest of society and get run over because I saw a shiny object on the freeway, I’m dedicated to writing down my thoughts and events of the day (be them random or slightly random) simply because to better ourselves is to think… before I forget.

Today is my sister’s birthday. I sent her a text message. She hasn’t responded yet, so I don’t know if she got it, she appreciated it, or if she’s still alive.

I don't think she'd appreciate her future birthdays being the anniversary of the Thai Coup d'etat of 2006 (I hand it to Wikiphiles for naming this event faster than the media). The government of Thailand was overthrown in a bloodless military coup today, and actually most of the Thais and the King of Thailand supported it. Crazy that people prefer a military dictatorship over an unpopular, albeit-democratically elected government?

I remember my class on “State, Society and Democratization in Southeast Asia,” which summated that there are a variety of socio-and structural reasons dependent on each country-case that came down to one basic axiom - democracy doesn’t work in Southeast Asia. I don’t know what to think about Thailand, but hey, its instability has so far contributed to the Philippine economy growing. My 6-digit inheritance in Philippine pesos is now worth 4-digits in U.S. dollars.

I have a weird way of flirting. It's more noticeable if I demonstrate it in person. At least its not a handicap for me.



No comments: