Saturday, January 26, 2008

It was an honest mistake ...

As part of a long ruminations I've been having lately about the direction of my life (which sometimes ends with me saying I'm an old man and start shaking my fist at BU college students calling them whippersnappers), I've compiled a list of what I consider the worst mistakes I've committed in my life. Possibly, this list's existence is to be a reminder so I never repeat them again, or as a future reference for my future children, or just for everybody's amusement. The fact most of my egregious mistakes involve high school or infectious disease means it's mainly for amusement. And since society likes lists, I've placed the top 10 so far. Note, they are not ranked.

a Becoming the manager for the girls' basketball team, thinking it's a great way to get dates.
b. Learning how to skip.
c. Wanting attention, even if it was negative.
d. Accidentally plagiarizing from the Disney Channel and Arthur Schlesinger.
e. Picking fights with people I was unmatched with, including a QB from a rival high school.
f. Gave up playing a musical instrument.
g. Forgetting certain precautions and asking really, really important questions to romantically-interested girls.
h. Letting myself be worked to death and verbally insulted in a laboratory, even if I was the youngest student there; should have stood up for myself and had more confidence against the post-docs.
i. Not saying I love you enough to family, girlfriends, drunken reprobate roommates.
j. Donating blood on a day when I had little sleep, no real food, a horribly-planned party to set up in Cobb, and an incompetent Scav captain to wake up 10 times. (Yes, this last one is very specific.)

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

ok, most of these, I get where you're going and/or know the background story, but I'm just confused about one thing - skipping?

Joel L. said...

it's not a story I'm willing to divulge. you'll hear it whenever I get married.