Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Overheard at BU...

is usually rather boring, monotonous shit. But at lunchtime, when I got on the elevator, I couldn't help but overhear this one guy's conversation with two embarrassed and uninterested women. And by couldn't help, I mean he was the only one talking on the elevator. So to paraphrase what he said:
"So, I've gotta say - that I didn't know what inner peace was until these past two weeks. I mean, that's what enlightenment is - is giving of yourself and, like, finding yourself in love. There's where you find your purpose. Yea, I believe that everyone has a soulmate and they bring you meaning. I feel so enlightened now..."

Other than the fact I wanted to stuff his mouth with a gym sock and berate him for his liberal use of the word "enlighten", his conversation got me thinking, is it that people need to find love to achieve peace? Or do people have to be in peace with themselves to be able to love others? Because I've known people who had to be in a relatively stress-free time of their lives (including me) to get into serious relationships. But then again there are manic problem-thinkers who need a significant other to put a leash on them. Or is it just a case by case basis? And really, what type of love was he discussing? What happens when the initial euphoria is over?

I ponder this, while I bang my head against my laptop, wishing this will make my thesis write itself. Sadly, this didn't work for my BA thesis either.

3 comments:

Nemo said...

Did he really say "yea"? Or did he say "yeah", and that was a typo? Because if he actually said "yea" out loud, especially in a monologue like that.... oh man, that crosses the line from bad to completely endearing.

Joel L. said...

Unfortunately it wasn't a typo. Endearing was almost reached, but not quite.

Vanessa said...

I think one of the underlying questions is whether you need to love or be loved. I think my issue with the guy, beyond his claim of reaching enlightenment (by which I'm pretty sure he means contentment), is the claim of having one soulmate. I don't like the term in general, possibly because its so vague and overused all at once, but if I were to use it, I'm pretty sure most close friends already meet the criteria. This implies that the guy is either friendless or has bought into the concept that you can't be content without a romantic partner. My opinion: Too dumb and full of self-import to be endearing.