Monday, March 31, 2008

Weird Scientists

If I haven't explained/ranted to you yet about my lab work, I'm currently looking at several gene mutations linked to inheritable forms of Parkinson's disease and my research is looking at the effect of oncological drugs on the genes expressing these mutations, which my lab planted into worms. Well, the basis for my experiment, and for 3 months of work, was looking at a crossed Parkinson's mutant with a transgenic protein that makes its dopamine fluorescent under UV. Well today, I learned there may be a "distinct probability" the transgene has been lost in the worm. And by "distinct probability," I mean it's been PCR confirmed, causing me to kick the PCR machine. Which means there is no genetic difference between my control and experimental groups....which means loud expletives were said.

How this happened could have been homozygous control worms could have infected the strain, or there was breeding back, or I'm being punished for transgressions in a previous life.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, before spontaneously combusting, I guess. Still have 2 more months to get the re-crossed worms.

In real world news, my sister has signed up for gun training class.

Yeah, I'm beginning to see no difference between reality and absurdism.

No comments: