Sunday, April 20, 2008

Time Out

The objectives coming to BU and Boston proper were clear: get a Master's with honors, get into (an accredited, American) medical school, and go awesome neo-Scav road-tripping with fellow ex-Shorelanders, all the while retaining whatever sanity I had left after Chicago. Now that all of those goals have been accomplished, though the sanity one is debatable, I've just been playing Halo 3 and bumming around a city whose surface I haven't even scratched.

Joel Sequitur will be leaving its Boston existence very soon, the fourth move in five years. Most of my friends, save for a few matriculating into BU med's Class of 2012, are leaving or have left. And barring meeting the girl of my dreams (or a reasonable facsimile) in the next two months, I will have little incentive to come back to Boston in those four years. So today I thought of all the things and events I have yet to do that can only be accomplish near a stream of dirty water called the river Charles.

1. Grab a sandwich at Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe or All Star Sandwich Bar.
2. Kayak down the Mystic River.
3. Visit the ICA on free Thursdays from 5-9PM.
4. Try all 36 brews on tap at Publick House.
5. Go to a game at Fenway sober.
6. Star-gazing at BU Coit Observatory.
7. See ImprovBoston.
8. Listen to a book reading at Harvard Book Store.
9. Do the Duck Tour.
10. Watch the Boston Marathon (which is tomorrow).
11. Visit the Distillery Gallery.
12. Go to Wally's Cafe during a live Saturday set.
13. Stop subjugating inner tech geek: visit the MIT museum.
14. Relax by Jamaica Pond.
15. See the Mapparium.
16. Attend the 2nd Annual Cambridge Science Festival (damn me for missing the 1st).
17. Actually walk the Paul Revere Trail.
18. Tour the Sam Adams factory, again.
19. See the Blue Hills Reservation.
20. Attend a Boston Pops Orchestra concert.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

why 18? Oddly, I've actually done several of these. Huh.

Joel L. said...

I'm not surprised if you've done everything except 4. I need to do 18 again because I lost the Sam Adams shirt I bought on the tour.

Vanessa said...

actually, there are a decent number I haven't managed, including 2, 4, 6, 9, 11, and 15. 15 was on the list, I just never quite got there.

anna said...

The "retain whatever sanity was left" goal was met vaccuously--you didn't have any left, so you retained the amount of zero that you had. Congratulations kid.

Joel L. said...

Funny, but "math grad student" and "sanity" aren't concomitant. Congratulations at being able to recognize it:P