Friday, August 31, 2007

You Can Take the Boy Out of the Ivory Tower...

I finished three secondary apps to medical school today (UIC, Tufts, and Drexel), when I looked over the essays I wrote and saw I referenced Socrates, Ray Bradbury, and Nathaniel Hawthorne. Do the med admission committees appreciate essays with footnotes?

Ironically, my secondary application to UChicago had only one quotation. Not from Durkheim or Nietzche, but Star Trek:TOS. If there is no one who gets that reference on the committee, I'm in the wrong field.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

OK, I'll bite. What was the quote, and what was the context?

Joel L. said...

McCoy: Medical men are trained in logic. Spock: Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error.

Context in essay was "what traits do you think medical students need". For context in Star Trek, watch episode 1.28 "City on the Edge of Forever."